Saturday, March 13, 2010

Too Much, Too Fast, Too Brash!

Have you ever stopped to ask yourselves where we are heading? Not necessarily as an individual on a particular day, but as a society in a particular, or perhaps peculiar, time. There are so many things happening around us at such a high speed, I wonder if we are taking the time to consider the implications of the decisions we make to use, or in how we use, the "social" communications outlets currently available to us today.
I am all at once impressed and appalled by what I often read on blogs, facebook, myspace, email, and twitter. I have no idea how to properly use most I have mentioned and I am sure I am totally uninformed of others that surely exist.
I have no intention here of criticizing the different venues we use to communicate. In fact, I believe the same example gun advocates use, "Guns don't kill, people do", applies to the correct, or incorrect, use of pens, paper, computers and other modern methods of communications.
I don't recall who said it, but it was once said that "The pen is mightier than the sword", or was it "The pen is sharper than the sword"? I am not sure, but perhaps both are right to the extent that what we say can either heal or kill, or in the very least, wound.
I am so afraid that we are creating a generation of cowards, hypocrites and thoughtless insensitivity. For example, I have read some of the most inspiring stories that would never be heard if not for the blogs that have given us the opportunity. However, I have also read on facebook the most stinging criticisms of people, things, and places. When we write these things do we ever stop and think how they may affect the intended and unintended recipient? Would we say the same things to their face? Would we even want to? Are we unwillingly, unintentionally, or even ignorantly making our choice of communications a dangerous weapon or an instrument for healing, encouraging and sharing the wonderful things God has done for us even in spite of our own sin.
I very much believe the African proverb applies to the Christian community; "It takes a village to raise a child". I also believe in the importance of accountability groups or "battle buddies" for adults. We all know there is a war that wages daily and we need to have people around us able and willing to come to our aide.
I am proposing we no longer take the easy and wide path to criticism, but rather the unfortunately narrow path to righteousness by first removing the plank from our own eyes and then going directly to the source of our contention with a sincere and righteous heart. Don't hide behind the computer, but rather stand boldly with and for the truth of God.
As always, my writings are not a condemnation of others as much as it is a God inspired self-examination of my own life as it relates to what I see, read, hear and do. I simply pray that my expressions do not harm anyone, but rather provide the opportunity for self reflection, awareness and productive discussions for the righteous way forward.
God bless you all.
James 3:13-18 NIV

3 comments:

Nancy H. said...

Very good post Dale (as always!).

Unknown said...

I share these same concerns Dale. I've been discussing the ramifications of social networking a lot lately with my students. I'm constantly reminding them that they should carefully choose their words and pictures that they want to share with the world.
Thank goodness there are many people that are using this type of networking to share their love and faith in the Lord too!
Great blog - glad Nancy suggested it :~)

Rick Lawrenson said...

Good to see you revive your blogging!